Sunday, August 16, 2009

FACEBOOK. . .

. . .is a lot of fun, but I have to admit I don't understand a lot of it.  I don't know how the invitations are launched, or how you make your own advertisements.  I've been on several lists of some sort, and I don't know how I got there.  What is MAFIA WARS anyway?  I have no idea what it means to "poke," someone, but I can't help but think it might be a little off color.  When I hear the term poke, I think of the song "Lovely Ladies" from LES MIS, which is sung by the sailors, who have come into port and are looking for ladies of the evening.  Poor Fantine, of course, has joined the oldest profession at this point.   The lyrics say, "Lovely Ladies, smell 'em through the smoke, seven days at sea will make ya hungry for a . . ."  Which is why I have yet to see what poking on FACEBOOK entails.  I also don't know how people post the notices along the right side of the screen advertising their photo albums and such.  I actually, don't really know how my blog makes it to FACEBOOK.  I just did what Scott Rezsnyak told me to do.
Even though I don't understand it, I repeat that FACEBOOK is fun.  BMHE, (that means before my heart event), I did lots of Adirondack hiking with my dad, who hiked into his late 70's.  We summited Cascade, Porter, the Brothers via Johns Brook Lodge, Panther, Mt. Arab, Mt. VanHoevenberg, a great little mountain called Owl's Head and more. One of my favorite photos of myself, (and I hate most photos of myself), is in black and white and was taken by one of Jan's past boyfriends near the summit of Pitchoff, which is definitely my favorite mountain.  The photo is on the wall of our Adirondack themed family room.  So I was delighted when I saw Jackie Owens' album of a climb up Algonquin listed or noted, whatever the right word is, on the right side of the FACEBOOK page.  Seeing the photos of a climb on a beautiful, sunny day, made me want to hike again, and someday, I hope I will.
FACEBOOK has brought me into contact with people I haven't seen in years, also.  Just last week, I got a request to be a friend from Jenelle Terwilliger. Jenelle was a Chittenango grad of the late 80's, an actor, singer, runner, and all around great person.  She lives in Phoenix, Arizona,  and it was terrific to exchange messages with her via FACEBOOK.  Linda and I now have a standing invitation to happy hour by her pool. 
I really should mention what's happening with my writing, since that is what I'm supposed to deal with in this blog at the Blue Moon Grille.  I have proofread about 150 pages of TISHA AND THE GIANT.  Mostly it's just spelling and punctuation, stuff, but ever so often I add or delete a paragraph,.  Re-reading the first half of the book is fun, because it's been some time since I read it, and occasionally I'm surprised.  Proofing the second half will be more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment