Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Triple Down the Left Field Line


My schedule has been so busy, that it's been tough to get blogging time. So, I think I'll shorten and combine three ideas nto one blog.

1. I really enjoyed the read-through for "The Girl Who Loved Romance Novels" last night. It's so great and revealing for me to hear my story read by a group of very capable actors. My only disappoint was the turnout. We could use 2 or 3 more young ladies and young gentleman to serve in various onstage capacities for what will be a really busy stage presentation. But the core group that read last night was nearly large enough to mount SUMMERPLAY 2010.

2. A couple months back I blogged about the writing contests that I had entered. Having not heard from any of them yet, I have a feeling I didn't win. I know that I didn't make it to the 250 cut-off in the novels competition. It's a "ces le vis," forgive the possible misspelling as I never took French, sort of thing, and I will continue to write and be alert for other contest opportunities.

3. Finally, an observation and/or pet peeve. Have you ever noticed how in a restaurant full of people it seems as if one person's voice always rises above the rest, and that you get to share his or her conversation whether or not you so wish. It amazes me. It's not even the volume of the voice, often, it's just something that makes certain voices carry (often obnoxiously). A couple of weeks ago we went to the Scotch and Sirloin, our favorite restaurant, using a gift certificate that Jan and Chris gave us for Christmas. Food was great, the service was perfect, and the person with the traveling voice sat right next to us. We might have been able to hear her even if she wasn't a vocal projector. because we were so nearby. But she was a projector and we heard every word so clearly that we wanted to ask her to tone down just a mite. We didn't care to hear her views on child rearing, interior decorating, or, God Forbid, golf courses. Linda and I wanted to be able to talk quietly to each other. Happily, I didn't let it bother too much, because I am now and will continue to live on "Beaufort Time."

Explanation of "Beaufort Time": Our stay in Beaufort, S.C., was so wonderful and so laid back, that I created the term "Beaufort Time" to describe the relaxed feeling I enjoyed in the South, and I vowed to bring that attitude home with me, although it was a little difficult to maintain when I opened our pool to find green water and then discovered our pump wasn't working. But I somehow held on to "BT," and Linda's trying to commit to it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment