Tuesday, March 9, 2010

AVATAR and Some Other Stuff


Eyak krikkka kah bdbdbd keaa! This means, "we lost the Oscar because of CG backlash" in Na'vi. I think that AVATAR, one of history's biggest films, didn't get the biggest awards because people are still more impressed by other live people performing on film than they are with computer generated or computer enhanced folk flying around, interacting, loving, and such. I must admit, that I haven't seen AVATAR, although I want to. I also haven't researched this particular opinion in any way, but if it is true, I'm pleased. . .not because I'd be right in my opinion, but because I would rather the work of people triumph over the work of machines, no matter how spectacular that machine work may be. (And I realize that it takes people to make those machines work, but the people don't emote on screen like totally live actors. Does that sound like a Valley Girl? "Totally live!") And what's with all this 3-D?

I haven't written about my writing in awhile, and since that was the original intent of The Blue Moon Grille, I should write something. At this moment, I have a play under consideration by Brooklyn Publishers, a short story entered in the Highlights Fiction Competition, a poem in the society of American Pen Women's contest, and a young adult novel in the Amazon/Penguin Books Novel contest. That's 1 work per major genre. I survived the first cut in the novel's competition. Mine was one of 1000 manuscripts accepted from the original 5000 entered. That isn't saying a terrible lot, but being 1 out of 5 isn't bad. The next cut will be announced on March 25, I believe. My blog can now be accessed from the Oneida Daily Dispatch Website, which is nice.

I am writing a lot everyday, what with my blog and SUMMERPLAY. I have already finished 1 play this winter, UNCLE HARVEY'S WAY, for which some summerplayers and I had a read-through and pronounced the play too dark for summer audiences. I hope to do a public reading of UNCLE HARVEY for a mature audience sometime in the future. I am close to completing my second play of the last few months, which is called THE GIRL WHO WAS READING NICHOLAS SPARKS. It is much more light-hearted and will allow a large cast of people of all ages and both sexes! I hope to pick up a few more young summerplayers for those who are growing up and moving away.

Ook atah ta ta (2 seconds of tongue rolling) boota! That means "thanks for reading" in a seldom-used Calcutta dialogue called Na'ru!

No comments:

Post a Comment