Thursday, March 18, 2010

Everywhere A Sign


We just love Beaufort, South Carolina.  The “beau” fits this area’s name as well as it fits “beauty.”  Of course, every new area is filled with surprises.  Some of my favorites around here are the unique signs, which sometimes advertise unique establishments. For example, yesterday we went by a sign that marked a “Terrapin Crossing.”  There are also signs, which announce fortunetellers, willing to tell you what’s to be if you cross their palms with paper or plastic.  There are also placards advertising “Bail Bondsman,” everywhere.  I’ve seen more Bail Bondsman storefronts in the small city of Beauford than I’ve seen anywhere else, I think.  Does that suggest that there must be a bunch of bounty hunters hanging around here, too?  But my favorite sign, which I just had to photograph, and which is at the top of this posting, was on the Hunting Island State Park Beach, which we visited yesterday.  I have no idea what it means or what, for that matter, they might be hunting out there!!

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a funny sign my husband and I encountered in Pennsylvania while we were still "dating" -- It struck us both as hysterical for some reason. We were wandering around a state park, I think it was called Locust Lake State park, where there was a small reservoir. As we rounded the far corner of the lake, there sat the sign:

    "Dam, Keep Off"

    :)

    That's been 21 years ago. Wonder if it's still there!

    Lori Vivelo Payne

    ReplyDelete