Friday, April 23, 2010

The Tale of THE SCARF


One of my favorite words is "ubiquitous." I like the way it sounds, and how it requires your tongue and lips to really work out in order for it to be spoken. "Ubiquitous" means "seeming to be everywhere at all times." A synonym is "omnipresent." From my appreciation of the word, comes "The Tale of THE SCARF."

Several years ago, a scarf featuring a classy plaid, a tartan, I believe, began to appear around people's necks. I wouldn't have taken note, but it wasn't just a couple of necks, but dozens and dozens of them. Then dozens and dozens more. I began pointing this out to Linda, and before long, we'd be nudging each other several times, no matter where we might have been, and saying under our breath, "There goes THE SCARF."

The ubiquitous nature of this neckwear showed itself almost frighteningly one winter night at the Carrier Dome. I was leaning against one of the walls on the lower concourse waiting for Linda, who was in the ladies room. In the minute or so, I stood there, THE SCARF went by 11 times. If I were paranoid, I might have thought of the classic film, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

In an earlier post, I wrote about the ubiquitous nature of North Face apparel on college students. But THE SCARF knows no demographic. It's on kids and senior citizens and all in between. Also, THE SCARF is no longer just a scarf. I have seen this classy plaid on raincoats, pocketbooks, coat linings, driving caps, backpacks, and probably other items I have forgotten. From just THE SCARF, it has become the most ubiquitous of plaids. This plaid is pictured in the photo above. It's the second one from the left. If those of you who might read this have a moment, I would appreciate knowing if you do now or ever have owned THE SCARF in any of its incarnations.

No comments:

Post a Comment