Monday, June 29, 2009

Two of my major. . .

. . .commitments for spring/early summer have been dealt with.  The Oz contest and the Yellow Brick Run are things of the past.  So now I hope to have more time for blogging and writing in general.
         Tonight's ARTHUR rehearsal should be fun.  For the first, we are going to rehearse in CrossRoads Church community center, the space which will eventually host the production. Our first task is to set up the borrowed band risers to create some raised seating.  If your scenery is going to be flat on the floor, you must raise your seats or people after the second row will only see the actors from the waist up.  We'll also tape off the walls for the scenery and get used to the amount of space, which will be available for the action.
         It can be fun to go back to writings you started and perhaps completed in the past.  I mentioned in an earlier blog, the fact that the first writing of my retirement was a young adult mystery, which I eventually put aside because I thought it came out kind of Nancy Drewish.  I meant no offense to the NANCY DREW or HARDY BOYS mysteries*, which I loved when I was a kid, but I thought the method of story telling might be a bit dated.
          So last week I reread, from cover to cover, the mystery I wrote back in 2003, and which I eventually titled SANDRA'S AUGUST.  You know, I really enjoyed it.  I had forgotten what was going to happen, so the events as they appeared were surprises to me.  Of course, maybe I liked the story because I was the one who made it up.  But reading it was fun anyway.
          On a sort of similar note, I have about completed my office cleanup, and some really old pieces of writing were sent off for recycling.  They were some stories it was time to let go.
*Did you know that Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon, the authors of NANCY DREW and the HARDY BOYS weren't real people.  A bunch of different authors were hired, cheaply I might add, to turn out the dozens of mysteries that sold millions of copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment