Monday, December 7, 2009

A Few Final Words on Twilight (for now) And a Few on SUMMERPLAY


Three quotes follow that sum up the magic or lack of magic which is TWILIGHT, et al. The first two come from 30+ professional woman, both ex-students, for whom I have tremendous respect. They offer opposing viewpoints. The third is from a young married man, and I absolutely love his clever quote.

#1 "I read them, but by default - I got the first two as Christmas gifts last year and then read the other two because they were a series. :) But I can't say that they were great and I have absolutely NO desire to see the movies. See, it took me all of a couple hours to read each one because the writing was so simple, and I didn't really care about any of the characters. Edward is written as the worst enemy of independent women/feminists everywhere, so I don't understand the attraction. "



#2 Okay, Okay...I must confess...I'm a 35-year old Twilight Fan!!!!


I LOVED your posting about it and it had me cracking up, as I am obsessed with it, but also have a sense of humor about it! The writing is pretty horrible, but the plot is just terrific. I read these books while pregnant and/or home with a child under the age of 1 year. It was an easy book to get lost in, delicious in imagery, fragrant with impossibly cheesy romance. Maybe I missed teaching teenagers or just needed a simple escape. My librarian actually recommended it to me before the obsession got as crazy as it is now...anyway, thought you would like to know why I love Twilight.


My students asked me last week - which do you like better in the movie - edward or jacob?

I said, "Which is legal for me to like?"



#3 "I’ve never read any of the books. My wife has twice. I swear I've heard her say under her breath that she wishes I was more like Edward. Whatever that means."


I have started writing SUMMERPLAY for July 2010. I had a pretty clear idea of the play I wanted to write and was thinking about a good name for the uncle, who is very important in the story. We were approaching the house we rented in Cape Cod for the first time when I noticed a street named Uncle Harvey's Way, and I knew a name and a title had just been delivered to me. The play's title is UNCLE HARVEY'S WAY, and it has a cast of 16, 9 female roles from 16 to 70ish and 7 male rolesfrom 16 to 50ish. There might be only 6 male roles if I decide to play a part, which I'm thinking of doing. One of the characters in the play is called the "Writer," and he functions as a sort of go-between between reality and the created world. I've always been interested in the relationship that a writer develops with his characters, and in UNCLE HARVEY'S WAY the writer will talk to one of the main characters as the play develops.


I'm having a specially good time writing this play, because I'm writing it like its a play for grown-ups. I don't mean that it won't be a play for high school students, because it will. There will be parts in it for high school age actors. But its going to deal with some serious issues within a dysfunctional family. Although, this is a play that I hope will have lots of humor, it is going to be far and away the most serious play I've ever written. My characters are going to talk and act in a way as close to life as I can create.


I'm not sure how this will all work out, but I can't wait to get a first draft done and do a practice read-through. Maybe UNCLE HARVEY'S WAY will crash and burn, but I do love that quote from a few posts back. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something to the effect of if you are fearful of failure, you probably won't create anything special.


Those of you reading this on FACEBOOK should really come to wwwmotleyplayer.blogspot.com/ some time. The blog's so much prettier there.

No comments:

Post a Comment