Saturday, January 30, 2010

Elfaba, Richard the III, and the Secret Identity of SNAC


I'm still thinking some about WICKED and the idea that Elfaba was forced by society to be "wicked" because of her greenness. Of course, she wasn't really wicked, not like the title character of Shakespeare's RICHARD THE THIRD. Shakespeare chose to use "tragedy" to describe the play RICHARD III, something he didn't do with most of historic plays. Richard's tragedy, according to the bard, was that he was forced to become "wicked" because he was so ugly. The beginning of the play features a soliloquy by Richard that I love. In it he declares both his amorousness and his ugliness. He says he is, "cheated of form by dissembling nature/ Deformed, unfinished, sent before my time into this breathing world. . . so lamely and unfashionable/ That dogs bark at me as I halt by them. . ." He describes his deformed self in other ways too, and finally concludes ". . . since I cannot prove a lover. . .I am determined to prove a villain." If he can't get the girl, he won't be the hero, and he goes about being absolute awful (killing kids for ex.) for 5 acts and eventually dying shortly after saying, "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!"

Which brings me to the major point of the posting: Does being drastically different from the norm really cause "wickedness," or is this old theme better in the literature than in the living? It seems to me that people who I have known who are in someway physically different, or perceive themselves as being so, are usually quiet, reserved, and lacking in confidence. Perhaps, unhappy, but not made evil by the world. Of course, Elfaba had magic and Richard III was a king. And they always say, power corrupts.

I was scrolling through some old posts and came upon one of my TWILIGHT rants. A 14 year old girl had responded to it very logically and interestingly. She blogs from a family blog and refers to herself as SNAC. She says I taught her mom a long time ago. I'd love to know just who this secret responder is. You are a good thinker, young lady, and if you have a blog, you must love to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment