Monday, January 11, 2010

When Mallard Fillmore Really Rankles

I often enjoy reading "Mallard Fillmore." I like the fact that its conservative message is on display right next to the liberal strip Doonesbury. But this comic from last week really bugged me, because I think it's dangerous. It would be so easy to believe that "global warming" isn't happening, or, if it is, that it's simply nature's evolution. Take that route and it's easier to sleep at night. No worries about the ice caps or future generations or polar bears, even. Even the term "global warming" is misleading because people think that a cold winter like we are having worldwide, somehow disproves it existence. "Climate change" is the term that must apply, and it comes in both hot and cold varieties. It troubles me, too, that the people who make their billions screwing up the environment, are only too thrilled to support the contention that this is just nature doing some sort of environmental clean up! I don't think those super rich really believe the line they feed. They're far too smart. And I don't think the Mallard Fillmore cartoonist really believes it, either. He's far too smart, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment