Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm in the mood to blog. . .

. . .simply because it's Tuesday, funny but when it's Tuesday, I'm in the mood to blog.  (Random musical notes.)  I don't really feel like blogging because it's Tuesday, but the only way I could think of beginning was to pay homage to another old song.  Please pronounce "homage" in the proper Anglicized form "om-idge," not in the suddenly popular amongst the Hollywood folks French version, "oh-modge."  
          When I blogged on Saturday, I mentioned eating a plum for lunch which made me think of one of my favorite poets William Carlos Williams.  The simplicity of his style and the simple yet amazing depth of his messages just get to me.  These are a couple poems that I really wish I was smart enough to have written.


So much depends

upon

a red wheel

barrow

glazed with rain

water

beside the white

chickens


This Is Just To Say

 

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox


and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast


Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold

--both by William Carlos Williams


When I read "So Much Depends Upon," I imagine a child's brightly colored drawing of the scene, a crude wheelbarrow, clumsy chickens, and crayon-point raindrops in the air, the essence of simple beauty and its importance.  Beauty is truth; truth is beauty.


When I read "This is Just to Say," I, of course, see a note on a refrigerator.  (The drawing from "So Much" could be magnetted to the refrigerator, too.)  I am always overwhelmed by the sensory, sensual power of these few words.  "Plum" is such a great word.  It makes us see both purple and plump.


            Another great thing about these poems is that people usually love 'em or hate 'em.  I used "So Much Depends On" in the play "Saturday Night at the Blue Moon Grille," and all Virge could think to say about it was, "it don't rhyme."  But Beth felt enough about its beauty to use it in her valedictory address.

            In case you're wondering, I'm looking for some reactions.


            Rehearsal went really well last night.  I am really proud of the cast of ARTHUR REDUX. 


            "Today is Tuesday, you know what that means, we're gonna have a special guest!!"  Who can provide the source for this quote.


1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, do you want the specific Mouseketeer??

    ReplyDelete