Monday, July 20, 2009

Today is the day. . .

. . .to debunk the "wenis."  What, some people might be saying,  is he talking about? Is he getting crass in his old age (in that it's his 62nd birthday, which is the one that allows you to collect social security)?  Neither senility or crassness are involved here, although I may be suffering from a nagging need to debunk things.
               At 6ish on Saturday, as we lounged about the CrossRoads Community Theatre waiting for the final performance of ARTHUR REDUX, an otherwise intelligent, informed, and responsible young fellow suggested that the proper term for the skin on one's elbow was "wenis."  "No way," I contended, at which time I was shouted down by a roomful of equally intelligent, informed and responsible young people.  "Yes,  way!" they shouted.  One even claimed to have learned it in anatomy class.  I want to know who's teaching anatomy at Geneseo these days.
               It seemed immediately apparent to me that "wenis" was the creation of some sophomoric frat boy, whose greatest thrill was to shout "don't touch my wenis" every time a girl bumped into him on campus.  The only other possibility that I could imagine was that someone had been watching a romantic movie starring a romantic Rumanian, who when pointing at the night sky, grabbed his female co-star's elbow,  and romantically uttered, "that is Wenus!"
                But I chose to be fair.  Even though "wenis" seemed to be a very convenient term for those who enjoyed shouting it in a frivolous way, I chose to research the truth of it.  I searched the WEB.  I tried "wenis" and "wenus" and "weenus" and even the French, "wienese," and the German "weinutz," all to no avail.  But I did find this:  "The back of the elbow is called the Olecranal and the front of the elbow is called the Antecubital."  The skin there is called "the skin there."
                 So, guys, the next time a female grabs you by the elbow shout, "Don't touch my olecranal!"  And, special to Matt Mohr, you need to contact that anatomy professor of yours so he will know what he's talking about the next time he dissects a "wenis."
              

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I missed this post the other day! It's hysterical! You summed it all up perfectly! Although, I will probably still use the term, it is just too funny for me not to. My favorite was the second Rumanian planet from the sun Wenis! I was laughing hysterically! Or as the say no-a-days lol or lmao... which is little more cude.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also want to check out this very useful, but completely erroneous information http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060709160208AAZpUDv

    ReplyDelete