Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just a blog at twilight. . .

. . . (insert a few musical notes here.)  Actually it's a little after twilight as I write tonight, but my reason for adapting/warping this bit of a song will become apparent.  And by the way, it truly has been one swell weekend.  (I almost split an infinitive back there.  Can you guess where?)
               After a good breakfast at the Old Hotel Cafe, I went home and vacuumed the convertible and trimmed the large, overgrown shrubbery in the front yard.  (Is that a shrubbery?)  Then Jan arrived, and it's always great to see her.  Soon though, she took off with her mom in my convertible to go to a shower for our niece in Rochester.  From  10:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., when they returned, the house was mine.  And I didn't even have to build a stone for ARTHUR, because Colleen, brilliant stage creator that she is, created one.  So I made a salad with some leftover pork cut up in it and ate it and a plum in the family room, while watching TV.  Very relaxing.
                Then I decided to watch a pay-per-view movie.  God forbid, I should call this pay-for-view or the technological minions will come down upon me.  I searched the HD choices, and decided, probably against my own better judgment, to watch TWILIGHT, mainly because Jacob said, "if you think the book was bad, you oughta watch the movie!"  So, I watched it, although I did shut it off for awhile and took a nap.  (My sleep was not haunted by curvaceous vampires.) In one major way, I liked the movie better than the book.  It only took about two hours to watch the movie, and it seemed like it took two years to read the book.  Kind of like the old line, "I spent a month in Watertown last Saturday."  Another tiny bit of criticism.  I don't believe the girl who played Bella really joyfully smiled once in the entire film.  This is not simply teen/vampire angst but a true neurosis or psychosis.  I could understand if she had a missing front tooth, but she appeared to have rather spectacular dentition, worthy of real smiles even if her boyfriend is a mountain-jumping bloodsucker.
                  Linda and Jan arrived back from the shower bearing Bill Gray's cheeseburgers.  In an earlier blog, I waxed poetically about Zweigel's hot dogs from Rochester.  Suffice it to say that the cheeseburgers one can purchase at Bill Gray's are the quintessence of cheeseburger.
                 Church was its normally excellent self this morning, and then this afternoon, a bunch of the cast members and I built the tiny auditorium that will exist this week for ARTHUR REDUX.  Colleen Baldwin and her helpers dressed the set, which is friggin' terrific.  That's all I can say about it.
                 I am really psyched about this week which will culminate in four performances of ARTHUR in our 88 seat arena.  Friday is sold out, but tickets are still available for Thursday evening, and the Saturday matinee and evening performances.  Tickets are a paltry three bucks and can be purchased at Oneida Savings Bank on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m.  The preceding was a shameless advertisement, but what else can you do when the fargin' newspapers around here don't publish your press releases anymore.
                 Final swell point of the weekend occurred when we went to dinner at Dominick's on Teale Avenue tonight.  It was an after the fact anniversary dinner, because we rehearsed on Wednesday, which was our anniversary.  Good size portions at Dominick's.  What's nice about getting older and having had gall bladder surgery is that you can't eat as much as you used to.  Ergo, I'll have Dominick's lasagna for supper again tomorrow night.
               Of my writing, I can only say I rewrote the little bit of TISHA AND THE GIANT which I wrote yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment