Sunday, July 19, 2009

Perhaps, I will be back. . .

. . .to blogging with a little more regularity now, which reminds of some tv commercials I can't stand. Watching a commercial about the yogurt that contains something like "ubiquitous regularis" is truly a draining experience.  I am always moved to turn off the tv.  And I really can't believe that Jamie Lee Curtis, who played the sort of virginal heroine in so many great 70's and 80's horror movies, has become a shill for laxative in a cup.
                 Horror movies are among my favorite guilty pleasures.  I love 'em and my wife hates 'em so I am truly happy for the advent of pay-PER-view.  I like horror movies even when they're pretty awful.  We were talking at the famous CrossRoads little theatre about that famous thespian Neil Patrick Harris.  My favorite NPH vehicle is the sci-fi/horror, bad and wonderful movie STARSHIP TROOPERS.  This movie has so many great/bad moments!   But NPH as a jackboot and full-length leather coat-wearing member of this futuristic gestapo/intelligence/
mind police organization is simply a bad/good performance for the ages. 
                  The first novel I ever finished writing was a horror novel.  I finished it sometime back in the very earlyseventies, when I was still a 20 something.  I wasn't successful in writing a horror novel,  but I was successful in writing a horrible novel.  I was really influenced by and envious of the early success of Stephen King, then, and publishers were releasing horror novels by the dozens.  My horrible novel was called "The Field."  It took place in Colorado.  That was a mistake.  I had driven through Colorado, once, and as I wrote, I didn't do any flora or fauna research or anything.  It was like Colorado was in Lakeport or something.  Secondly, the basic premise depended on the fact that there was a place (in Colorado and not too far from a major highway) where no human being had set foot in hundreds of years. Or perhaps, ever!  Because there were these altars of the dead, there.  Altars built by ghosts, if I remember correctly.  And they got annoyed when some people decided to build a house there.  I shudder trying to figure what I was thinking about.  The novel was chockful of eerie evening happenings, priests getting bitten by snakes, little kids getting sucked down into the earth, and a sort of virginal girl falling immediately into the arms of a handsome guy who happens to ride by on, (get this) his white horse.  I can't believe I am admitting this to anyone on the web (without spiders) who might chose to read it.
                    Right now, I have two partially completed horror novels in my filing cabinet.  They are ZOMBIES ARE US and MAGGIE AND THE GHOSTIES.  I feel they are considerably better than THE FIELD.  They have no dying priests, no poisonous snakes, and no little kids getting sucked down anywhere.  There are a few sort of virginal girls, and there are QUARRIES!! Those who have read earlier blogs no about me and quarries!
                   Thanks to those people who commented on my blog over the last few weeks, in particular Bill Feher.  I'm sorry I haven't replied very much, guys, but I'll try to better at it now that ARTHUR is shut down.
                  To my wonderful ARTHUR cast.  I'll blog about you guys later today.  I just had to get some kind of blog launched to make me feel like things are back to normal.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment