Sunday, November 29, 2009

Finishing Up The Wonders List


Birds Nest in the Christmas Tree Made of Lobster Traps on the Harbor in Provincetown
Let me list some of the 'nango Wonders that have gone unmentioned in my blogs, but were mentioned by people who responded.  They include the sulphur springs up Falls Boulevard, site of a long gone hotel where people "took the waters;" the tunnel-like path that ran from Hickory Estates to P&C Plaza; the Ovate Amber Snail, that lives at the base of Chittenango Falls.  Those 3 belong on a natural wonders list.  Some of the recalled man-made wonders were the old American Legion Hall that towered over Sun Chevy just like "momma's house towered over the Bates' Motel," the "ungodly number of pizza parlors and dollar stores," the Grant's Department Store that had its own restaurant where you could get all the liver and onions you could eat on Wednesday nights for $1.29 (of course, not many people could eat any), the Radio Shack where Kent Bradshaw worked, and the water tower on the hill above the village, that used to be decorated with a big star at Christmas.  Bill Brewer used to call the water tower star "the Entire Chittenango Christmas Pageant."

Those of you who mildly chastised me for not including Chittenango Falls, the Canal Boat Museum, or the Erie Canal itself on my original "Seven Wonders" List, remember that I was going for laughs and the 3 aforementioned wonders are too serious.  It is for that reason that I also failed to include the new Sullivan Free Library building.

Two active businesses suggested as wonders were the North Pole, and Chittenango Video suggested by part owner and operator, Annie Shanahan.  Remember that in my blog I encourage shameless self promotion in all forms. 

Thanks to these 'nangoites and 'nango expatriats, who, in no particular order, provided ideas and memories.  Kara Sherlock, Kristin Alongi, Sue Terwilliger, Steve Feher, Lora Evans Farber, Steve Melchiskey, Karen Fauls-Traynor, Michelle Albee Matto, Nancy Wright Donovan, Heather LaPlante, Dave Fischer, Karl Houck, Nancy Lenzen Davis, Jamie Pittman, Jenelle Terwilliger, Amanda Horning, Matt Hess, Jodie Ralston, John Spiridigliozzi, Peggy Bevz Nunez, Stacy Guhin Seubert, Randy Pittman, April Grover, Rob Niederhoff, Ericka Granish, and Annie Shanahan.  If I missed anyone, let me know.  If you're listed and not sure why, what can I say.
I found a really interesting article about "New Moon," and my next blog will be titled "Why Some Vampires Don't Suck, I Guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment