Monday, November 23, 2009

The Seven Wonders of Chittenango



I'm not sure who first started it, but creating "seven wonder" lists caught on.  For example, someone made up the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World with structures like the Great Pyramids, the Colossus of Rhodes, and the Lighthouse at Alexandria.  Someone else listed The Seven Natural Wonders of the World, which has spots like Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon. For some time I've been thinking that we needed our own "Seven Wonders of Chittenango," and with the completion of Chittenango's first skyscraper, the Chittenango Dental Center, which from this point forward will be referred to as the Taj Mahal of Teeth, I believe I am ready to suggest our own "Seven Wonders" list.
THE SEVEN WONDERS OF CHITTENANGO
1.  I would be a traitor to the area if THE YELLOW BRICK SIDEWALK was not first on my list.  I'm not sure of this one needs to be repainted or not.
2.  Follow that up with the TAJ MAHAL OF TEETH located in the farmer's field across from P&C (gone out of business) Plaza.  If you live out of town and are coming home during the holiday season, be sure to drive down Rte. 5 and check out this monument to gingivitis.  I understand that eventually L. Frank Baum's dentures will be on display there.
3.  The THREE BIG AUTO PARTS STORES.  Only Chittenango can claim to have more available spark plugs than citizens.
4.  LITTLE BIG BEN, THE CLOCK IN FRONT OF THE VILLAGE PARKING LOT.  I understand that our clock's twin is located at one of the golf courses at Turning Stone.  Interesting, that in the movie LITTLE BIG MAN, a white man, Dustin Hoffman, was paid an exorbitant amount of money to play a Native American.  Now our LITTLE BIG BEN''s twin overlooks the golf course where white men pay an exorbitant amount of money to Native Americans to play golf.
5.  Teddy Fields' CANTEEN INSPIRED CHICKEN FRICASSEE now available for your delectation at Delphia's.
6.  WEDDING PHOTO GAZEBO in Stickles' Park.
7.  CHITTENANGO HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL STADIUM, that field turf monument to Scholastic Athletics or Athletic Scholastics.  Take your pick.  I suggest a naming contest for the stadium, and my personal pick would be FM, EAT YOUR HEART OUT FIELD.  And we've even got big friggin' nets behind the goals to catch errant soccer and lacrosse balls.
I'm sure there are many other great nominations for our SEVEN WONDERS list.  I was hard put not to include the historical kiosk in front of the library or Todd Caputo.  So if you'd like, send me your own personal nominations, and, maybe, I can create a second list.  If this request is as successful as my request for favorite first novel lines, then I won't be making a second list. Take that as a challenge, you slackards and slugabeds.




1 comment:

  1. I've got it! How about The Gum Pole on Lake Street? Perhaps it's gone now, but I remember a telephone covered from top to bottom in chewed pieces of gum on Lake Street right across from the elementary school. I always tried to have gum chewed and ready whenever I walked by it :-)

    ReplyDelete