Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Memories, In Your Own Write

A Field of Black-eyed Susans Still in Bloom on Cape Cod, Yesterday

The "Wonders" postings really struck a chord for people.  Because I have been blogging from Cape Cod the last few days, and we're going to head out to P'town this afternoon, I decided to let some of the responders do my work for today.  Below are some of my favorite remarks with the speaker's name and current home after it. I'm  not positive about where these folks now live, but I do know they all once lived in Chittenango

“I've got it! How about The Gum Pole on Lake Street? Perhaps it's gone now, but I remember a telephone pole covered from top to bottom in chewed pieces of gum on Lake Street right across from the elementary school. I always tried to have gum chewed and ready whenever I walked by it :-”--Amanda Horning,  Los Angeles


"that was merilee lynch's dad and the summer when i was 13 i worked at Agway down in Chittenango Station, unloading freight cars of horse feed and helping customers with farm and garden supplies. I used to ride from Brinkerhoff hill road on my bike to the job at 6:30am and stop in to see Mr. Lynch and pickup 3 or 4 fresh "taillights" or "headlights" or plain ones, if the others weren't ready. They were always so hot that I couldn't eat them until half way down that long road to the Agway. He used to throw in a free donut sometimes and was always nice. I went to nursery school with Merilee, if you can believe that.....i still search out true donut stores if just to bring back that aroma-memory of those far-gone days..."

Steve Melchiskey, Maine, I think


"so many of those places I have never even heard of! Chittenango with a bowling alley?! I would have liked that and a bakery! my old memories only go back to Peters supermarket and Ames!"--Kristin Alongi, Ithaca, Cornell


"I would also like to nominate Canaseraga Park. All summer long we would get on a bus and head there for a FREE full day of swimming lessons and wild   mostly unsupervised fun (except for Coach D. with his megaphone). THE COLDEST water ever but so much fun!!"--Nancy Lenzen Davis, Hartford, Conn.


"I loved hiking the Ames Trail. An adventure always awaited!"--Lora Evans Farber, Albany


“ saw that new dentist office on Sunday and almost ran off the road as I gawked while i drove.  Crazy."--Matt Hess, Syracuse


when i was a kid, the P&C . . .they had a roller belt that when they bagged your groceries (back before plastic bags even), they'd put them in crates and push it down the belt, through a window and the rollers went outside.  so you just pick them up curbside.  the baggers would even wait w/the groceries until you got there and help put them in the car.  the old P&C was awesome.  the bakery had a sit-down area and they made the best half-moon cookies ever.  ah, memories. remember that, Mr. E?"  Peggy Bevz Nunez, Fort Drum--Indeed, I do remember it, Peg. 


“Waldmans... the pizzeria in the old building.  No dollar stores.  The plaza not being a ghost plaza...  Change is annoying sometimes."--Peggy, again


To everyone:  It would seem that we are blessed by the place we call home or once called home. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment