Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"And You Can Take Me to the Fair"

Your final jeopardy question!  "The line used as my blog title is from this musical."  Remember, your answer must be in the form of a question. 
Thanks to Katie S. and Kelly C., the first my niece, the second my buddy, for telling me they enjoy reading my blog.  Oh, Peg, too, I forgot.  It feels good to know I'm being read and enjoyed.  Thanks to everybody who exchanges words with me in response to my blog as well.
Joy to all of you about to start the school year, be you high school student, college student, graduate student, medical student, school nurse, or teacher of any kind.  May your academic year be both fun and fruitful.  I send out special hugs to the new teachers among you, Sarah and Kendra and anyone else I'm missing.  The first year is a great year.  I sort of envy those of you about to go back for those first foul faculty meetings, but not an awful lot.  Had I been able to teach just one class of English 10 Honors and one of Drama (playwriting, maybe) each day, I might be teaching still.  But probably not.  I don't think they'd let me take all the days I want to take off.  In the years prior to retirement, when on a gorgeous fall day the fire drill bell would ring, Linda and I would meet while keeping kids corraled and say to each other, "Wouldn't this be a great day to go to Cape Cod."  Now we go!  That's hard to beat. . . being a teacher is pretty hard to beat, too.
We went to the movie about Woodstock that's playing at the Manlius.  I can't remember the title, maybe TAKING WOODSTOCK or MAKING WOODSTOCK, but whatever the name, I really liked it.  The fact that the only really good review I read of the movie was by Roger Ebert doesn't surprise me.  Roger Ebert is just a few years older than I am.  The other reviews I read or heard were by people much younger, and they all wanted more of the music included.  Those of us who were alive and aware in 1969 heard the music often enough, but we like to be reminded of the way life was then.
This is my fair suggestion for the next three year period.  It is a multi-year suggestion because we only go about every third year.  Share everything you eat.  We shared Italian Ice, chicken wings, a cup of clam chowder, and an Italian sandwich.  All the flavor and half the calories.  We really had a good time at the fair, too.  It didn't seem like so many inbred, beer-swigging, dirty-t-shirted types were wandering around for one thing.  That was an awful thing to say wasn't it?  Shame on me.  Also, the weather was cool and the place wasn't too crowded.
No news from any of the literary agents I mailed.  
I think my next blog will be about a couple of interesting difficulties for planning a reunion of your old fraternity brothers forty years after we were so young.

No comments:

Post a Comment