Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hallmark Cards and Serial Killers

One of my favorite creative writing activities back in the day, (although I'm not sure if it was a favorite of my students), was composing poems that featured specific types of people or things or events in a rather nonsensical way.  I got the idea from a poet, whose name I have lost, who wrote one that featured famous people from American history.  It had images like a "Walt Whitman rocking chair" and a "Teddy Roosevelt mustache cup."  Those aren't exactly right, but you get the idea.
Anyway, I was digging through some boxes again.  Consigning some items to my closet, some to my filing cabinet, and a lot to the basement, when I came upon the two examples of those type/nonsense poems that I had written along with my classes.  The first is about Christmas, and the theme of sorts is the commercial orientation of that holiday.  But the theme isn't important.  It's just kind sweet of sweet, I hope.  The second is told by some very twisted narrator, but remember I'm a fan of DEXTER.  I thought I would share them.

Hallmark Card Christmas

For Christmas, father bought us boys
"Preparation H" t-shirts
and for the girls
"Gravy Train" barrettes to wear in their hair.
We always went to Grandma's for Christmas dinner.
I remember the "Dinty Moore" warmth of her kitchen,
And how we'd ride in
Grandpa's sleigh with the picture
of the "Campbell Soup Kids" on the side
and cross the bridge over the "Franco-American Spaghetti" River
where children were skating,
spinning around like little "Pillsbury Doughboys."
When we got home
all "Eskimo Pie" cold,
Grandma would have hung the stockings
from the mantel that Grandpa,
in an "Air-Wyck" mood
had carved to look like the "Maytag Repairman."
On each toe of each stocking
Grandma embroidered our names and,
in tiny letters, "Patent pending."
And we knew that, in the morning, when
we stuck our little "Lemon Joy" hands 
in our stockings
we would find presents
and tiny pieces of paper saying,
"Inspected by #38."


31 Serial Flavors

Today, Susie and I went for ice cream.
We went to the Son of Sam Ice Cream Shoppe
and Book Depository.
She ordered two scoops of 
Charlie Manson Crunch, and 
I ordered a Jeffrey Dahmer Surprise Sundae
with raspberry sauce and
sprinkles shaped like tiny body parts.
The man in line behind us was
smoking a Juan Corona Cigar.
The smoke got in our eyes and made
us squint like Ted Bundy did
when he was electrocuted.
As we walked away, I heard
a man say, "I'll have a lone scoop of
Lee Harvey Oswald Brickle
and my wife will have
the Mark David Chapman Split
with low-fat hot fudge.
Susie whined, "we should have gone inside
and sat in a John Wilkes Booth Booth."
So, I killed her and all the other whiners, too.
Now, I'm the 32nd flavor.

You might try writing one of these bits of verse.  They're fun to write, even the twisted ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment