Friday, September 4, 2009

Coffee and a Walk

Yesterday morning was a fine one.  There are many things that can make for such a fine morning.  For example, the weather.  I love a sunny morning with a nothing but blue sky and dew still on the grass.  In the winter, reading a story about SU Basketball winning the night before can make the morning fine. Of course, a fine morning can't be great without fine coffee.*
I was at Panera's yesterday at one of my several usual tables.  I was sipping their fine coffee and eating what I eat virtually every weekday morning, a whole grain bagel. Yesterday I had jelly on it.   Now, if you've eaten whole grain bagels, you know they are not unlike a combination of cardboard and sawdust.  But they're good for you, so what you put on them is important.  It makes them palatable.  As I sat there, a young woman walked in the door, and I realized I recognized her.  It was Melanie Davies, who I haven't seen for ages. Melanie was in my 10th Grade Honors English class the year that I retired.  She looks wonderful and  has a job in Boston, which is a great place to live and work.  I believe the place she works is called the Boston Harbor Hotel, which if you live in Boston, might be pronounced the Baahston Hahbah Hotel. She lives near the hahbah, too.  So, step 1 on my fine morning was seeing Melanie.
When I got home I went for a walk/jog.  At the playground in Sullivan Park, I met Kaitlyn Cox.  Kaitlyn was also a English 10H student a few years before Melanie was.  Kaitlyn has two darling little boys.  Seeing her and the boys was delightful.  I also met Dale Devendorf's wife and their darling son. That was step 2 on my fine morning.
Step 3 happened in the high school parking lot.  I was cutting through on my walk, and I met Beth Carpenter, CHS science teacher.  I think Beth teaches both Chem and Physics, but I'm not positive.  Whatever it is she does teach, she teaches both well and joyfully.  She told me she just couldn't wait for year to begin, which was fine to hear.  Her students are blessed. 
So you see, a morning could hardly be finer than one on which you happen upon three fine young women, for whom you hope only the finest.  And what guarantees the fineness of that A.M. is that all three seem to be living life in a very fine way.

*Those of you who recall TWIN PEAKS, remember how FBI Agent Dale Whatever always used to say, "Now that's a damn fine cup of coffee."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment