Saturday, September 19, 2009

Flip Flops!

Because I know I won't get to blog tomorrow, and I didn't blog yesterday, I want to post just a paragraph or two today.  Man, the weather was pretty magnificent today! Now if I were younger, I might have said, "Dude, the weather was pretty magnificent today!"  So, let this be a question from the "Man" generation to the "Dude" generation: What is the fascination with flip flops?  It seems to be all that some people wear on their feet.  They offer no support and barely any sole, and yet I see people walking on them for. . .what must be miles.  I took an unscientific observation poll at the Fair.    I can't begin to guess the number of kids, (mostly girls), who were wearing flip flops! And one does a lot of walking at the Fair.
I admit to being a flip flop hater.  I tried wearing them long ago, and I hated the way the little piece of plastic stuck between your toes.  Plus, let's face it, if there was going to be a contest for the ugliest part of the human body, feet would win in a walk.
This question came to mind, and not for the first time, at the Chittenango football game last night.  The Bears won! Hooray!  It was pretty cold at the game.  The bleachers are made of metal.  The grass was wet with condensation.  Still tons of kids were wearing flip flops.  Now dammit, their feet had to be freezing!
So that's my question. Why the flip flops?  What possible fascination can their be in displaying unattractive feet in all kinds of weather?  If anyone could offer an opinion, I'd be pleased. 

1 comment: