Thursday, May 7, 2009

It's 11 p.m. so. . .

. . .I won't be wordy.  We received 170 entries in response to the OZ short story ending contest.  That's really fantastic.  Interestingly enough and logically enough, 144 entries came from kids in 3rd to 8th grade, 20 came from adults, and only 6 came from high school kids.  I guess that suggests that kids love Oz when they're little, get sick of it in h.s., and come back, in limited numbers, as adults.
     After writing about Whitman books yesterday, I decided to do a little research on them and discovered that they only cost 50 cents, not 59 cents as I remember.   I wonder if the retailers in Webster jacked up the price 9 cents.  This is a bit of information about these books that I found on-line:

The Whitman Publishing Co. published the 8 inch books known as 50-cent juveniles. These books provide a snapshot of popular culture from the years they were published, the 1910s to the 1970s. They were published in a variety of series such as Whitman Classics, Adventures For Boys, Mysteries, and the most notable, the Authorized Editions, which were gleaned from radio, screen, comic strips, and TV series.

     It's the authorized edition, the tv/movie tie-ins that interest me.  So I went searching for titles on E-bay, opened a Paypal acct., and bid on a group of 4.  I'll find out tomorrow if my $10 bid wins.  Then I went searching specifically for LASSIE AND THE MYSTERY OF BLACKBERRY BOG, and I found 3 copies for sale.  One is at this moment being shipped to me for the total price, including shipping, of $7.90.  The search will go on.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment