Thursday, May 21, 2009

Last night was. . .

. . .the practice reading of ARTHUR REDUX.  I thought it went very well.  I was happy.  Most of the jokes were laughed at, and I think that ultimately the theme was clear.  Kudos to some great readers  including the "Family Hess" without whom I believe SUMMERPLAY might crash and burn.  I hope all who attended last night, and more, will audition.
     The practice read is so important to me.  I need to hear the play as it will sound on stage.  I always make some discoveries.  For example, it was pointed out to me that "dreamboat" is no longer viable slang, nor is being at "sixes and sevens."  I will make these corrections, although, I might point to yesterday's blog on the danger of overly current slang.
     In college, I, and a couple of hundred others, took A History of the Cinema, otherwise known as "Thursday Night at the Movies For Credit."  It was a great class, taught by a terrific professor named Dr. Arthur Lennig.  I remember one night when we were discussing some film we had watched, a French film, I think, and Dr. Lennig mentioned a scene in which Louise, the heroine, heard her name wafting on the wind.  Dr. Lennig asked us, "What does this scene prove?"  We had no idea.  He grinned and said, "It proves that 'every little breeze, seems to whisper Louise."  No one laughed.  All 400 eyes just stared at him.  He smiled and said, "I guess that one is from before your time."
    In the 30's or 40's there was a popular song with the "Louise" lyric.  Only none of us knew it.  I always worry that my entire play will be greeted by such an empty stare.  Last night's practice proved that that won't happen, but it pointed out some "little breezes" as well.
    On a totally different but important note to me, I went to the cardiologist today.  Some of you know that two years ago I found I was suffering from cardiomyopathy.  Simply, might heart didn't pump as much blood as it should.  The average heart moves about 55% of the blood in a chamber in one beat.  When I was sick, my heart was moving 28%.  Eventually, it built up to 45%, which was good, about 80% of normal.  But today at the cardiologist, I found out that my heart is now moving 60%, which is at the high end of normal.  This hardly ever happens.  So we are pretty joyous, and for those of you who offered sympathy, kind words, and prayers for me along the way, we thank you!

P.S. to Jake:  I shouldn't have pushed you to audition last night, my friend.  You have a big summer coming up and must do what is best for you.

1 comment:

  1. It's always fun to read through your work, Mr. E. I had a blast and will definitely be auditioning. Don't worry about pressuring Jacob, I've been doing the same thing. After all, I did perform the week before my own wedding!

    ReplyDelete